I took the horses in to have their fall vaccinations and Lacy needed her teeth floated. (floating teeth on a horse is: filing the sharp points, that are created by the way the horse chews food) Most horses need this done every 1-2 years or so, depending on the horse. It will affect how they eat and chew food if it is bad enough and not corrected. <---for the non horse person who may stumble onto our blog ;)
So, while I was waiting with the horses outside, I saw this BIG beautiful Percheron mare with her foal(standing behind her). I had to get a picture, she was very pretty! Reminds me of a horse I used to know.
Here is the clinic's equine operating table. It is pretty cool, I have seen it being used. Now use your imagination here: the door you see in the front slides to the left and the horse walks in. The doctor mildly sedates the horse and straps him to the inside right hand wall and closes that door. Once the horse the a little sedate, that right hand wall begins to lower downward, to the right. The horse is then completely sedated and strapped in better. The table is now flat the horse laying on his side. Then the left hand side of the table, which would be where the horses feet were when he got in to this contraption, raises up and another padded piece of table is added. The horse is now in a "V" shaped table, having been almost completely flipped over. The horses legs are in the air and is now ready for an operation. I know this is hard to imagine without a horse on the table. It is really cool to see and great technology. I saw a hernia operation done on this table when I worked here.


No comments:
Post a Comment