
I wish I didn't have such terrible news to share with you. Long story short, Zeke has lymphoma. We got confirmation of his diagnosis on Monday, August 16th.
For the previous 3 weeks Zeke had been not eating, losing weight, and had become extremely lethargic. Through many veterinarians and lots of testing, we were given the horrible news.
Lymphoma, in dogs, in not curable. It's a cancer of the lymph nodes.
We went to an appointment at the *Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital's Cancer Center on Thursday. We met with a wonderful oncologist. She explained what happens with lymphoma in dogs and what is happening with Zeke. She explained that lymphoma can not be cured, but it can be put into remission with chemotherapy.
Jason and I had a long talk about what this means for Zeke and for us. We have decided to go ahead and start chemotherapy for Zeke and hope he gets a long remission. The doctor thought we may see a year of the cancer in remission. And, hopefully even longer! We are staying optimistic and hoping for the best possible outcome for Zeke.
His chemotherapy started on Thursday, at that same appointment. He will have approx. 15 chemotherapy appointments, consisting of weekly visits to the cancer center. After this first treatment, which is the hardest on the body, he will be get back to being his 'ol goofy self :) He will get back to being able to go hiking, trail riding, swimming, playing - all the things he loves! He won't lose his hair. He also, likely, will not be sick during treatments. Only a small number of dogs actually have any side effects from the chemo treatments.
With this devastating terminal diagnosis, chemotherapy will give Zeke his quality of life back and another year (pray for longer:) with us, doing all the silly labrador stuff he loves!
I have always been free to admit that, I (jess), haven't been a "lab person". Zeke has completely changed that! This cancer has put our canine companion's lives in perspective for me. I honestly didn't think twice about any of our dogs not being with us into their ripe old age.
Zeke has, and will continue to be, one of the best, greatest, silly, goofy, adorable, loyal, trustworthy, tolerant, compassionate and surely the most lovable dog I have ever had the honor of knowing and sharing my life with.
Please keep Zeke in your thoughts and wish him the best. Those of you who know Zeke personally, know he is an amazing doodle and deserves the best we can give him and do for him.
We will keep you posted on his journey.
*Here is more information on CSU's Animal Cancer Center. This is a fantastic hospital and world renowned. Zeke has a wonderful doctor and the facilities are fantastic.

2 comments:
That has to be hard to share and even harder to live through. Our thoughts are with you and Zeke. We hope that its a wonderful year (hopefully longer) filled with good times. Remeber to enjoy him and not dwell on what will be (hopefully later than sooner). He couldn't be with better people to take care of him. We love you all!
Jason & Jess,
So sorry to hear about Zeke's illness. I had to smile Jess, at your confession that before Zeke you had never been a "lab person". I think that's the thing I love the most about dogs. They have the ability to worm their way into our hearts regardless of our own intentions. What a blessing that you live so close to such a wonderful facility - and and in such a fabulous place to raise your pets!
Take care - and enjoy every minute.
Sue Schutz
Post a Comment